- Devlin, A.S., Marcobal, A., Dodd, D., Nayfach, S., Plummer, N., Meyer, T., Pollard, K.S., Sonnenburg, J.L. & Fischbach, M.A. “Modulation of a Circulating Uremic Solute via Rational Genetic Manipulation of the Gut Microbiota.” Cell Host Microbe. 2016, 20, 709. [link]
Renal disease is a big problem in the US: $50 billion annually, ~500,000 people plus 8 million more with uremic symptoms. Dialysis and kidney transplantation are the only effective treatments currently, both of which have serious drawbacks for quality and duration of life. We propose a potential alternative treatment, which is to reduce the levels of damaging toxins, many of which are produced by human gut bacteria, by modulating the host’s microbiome.
- Toma, T., Logan, M.M., Menard, F., Devlin, A.S., Du Bois, J. “Inhibition of Sodium Ion Channel Function with Truncated Forms of Batrachotoxin.” ACS Chem. Neurosci. 2016, 7, 1463. [link]
- Devlin, A.S. & Fischbach, M.A. “A biosynthetic pathway for a prominent class of microbiota-derived bile acids.” Nat. Chem. Bio. 2015, 11, 685. [link]
- David, L.A., Maurice, C.M., Carmody, R.N., Gootenberg, D.B., Button, J.E., Wolfe, B.E., Ling, A.V., Devlin, A.S., Varma, Y., Fischbach, M.A., Biddinger, S.B., Dutton, R.J. & Turnbaugh, P.J. “Diet rapidly and reproducibly alters the human gut microbiome.” Nature 2014, 505, 559. [link]
- Devlin, A.S. & Du Bois, J. “Modular Synthesis of the Pentacyclic Core of Batrachotoxin and Select Batrachotoxin Analogue Designs.” Chem. Sci. 2013, 4, 1053. [link]
- Wolckenhauer, S.A., Devlin, A.S. & Du Bois, J. “δ-Sultone Formation Through Rh-Catalyzed C–H Insertion.” Org. Lett. 2007, 9, 4363. [link]
- Du Bois, J., Devlin, A.S., Menard, F., Logan, M. & Toma, T. “Batrachotoxin Analogues, Compositions, Uses, and Preparation Thereof.” US Patent No. 9,090,627.